Undergraduate FAQ

How do I make an appointment?

Visit your department’s SWAN portal.

What is my classification?
  • Freshman: 0-29 completed hours
  • Sophomore: 30-59 completed hours
  • Junior: 60-89 completed hours
  • Senior: 90 or more completed hours
How do I dispute a grade?
How do I find a proctor for a correspondence course?

Texas A&M University’s Data and Research Services is the official test proctor for correspondence and certification exams.

How many Q-drops are permitted?
  • Texas A&M University allows four Q-Drops. However, drops at previous institutions could affect this number. Consult with your advisor.
  • Submit the Q-drop form to your academic advisor by the Q-drop deadline for that semester.
Can I exclude a grade?

Grade exclusions are no longer allowed.

How do I request a Non-Degree Seeking (NDS) semester?
  • Graduating seniors wanting a Non-degree Seeking (NDS) semester so they can take courses in another College/School must pursue admission into College(s)/School(s) other than SEHD.
  • Students wishing to take an SEHD course and a course in another College/School will be considered on a case-by-case basis with approval from the Dean or Dean’s designee.

Students are encouraged to meet with their undergraduate advisor before completing 95 hours to pursue NDS status.

How do I obtain a double major or second degree?

A student interested in pursuing a double major or double degree at SEHD is required to seek approval from both the current major department as well as the proposed major department.


  • Submit a petition including a completed degree plan approved by both departments.
  • 3.00 overall GPR and 3.00 in current and proposed majors.
  • Must initiate process before 90 credits hours are reached.
Undergraduate Double Majors

Both majors must lead to the same baccalaureate degree, e.g., both must lead to BA or BS, rather than one leading to a BA and one to a BS. Both majors will be indicated on the student’s diploma.

Undergraduate Second Degrees

A student pursuing a second degree will, upon completion of all requirements, receive two separate degrees, e.g., two BAs, two BSs, or a combination of either BA, BS, BBA, BLA, or BED degree.


  • Courses may be used to satisfy the requirements for both degrees.
  • Total semester hours required must be at least 30 semester hours in addition to the greater number of hours required for either degree.
  • At least 12 hours of 300- and 400-level course work must be completed in each field of study.